Athens Premises Liability LawyerRequest Free Consultation
When you have permission to be on someone else’s property, you have the right to expect safety. Property owners and managers in Georgia have a legal obligation to keep their premises safe. Unfortunately, many buildings, businesses, restaurants, and parks in Athens contain injury risks and serious defects. If you were hurt due to a property owner’s neglect to keep the premises free from hazards, you may be eligible for financial compensation.
Whether you were injured in a slip and fall accident, food poisoning, or in a criminal attack in Athens, the premises liability lawyers at Dan Chapman & Associates, LLC, can help. We understand how Georgia’s premises liability laws work and can help you get past your accident. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Why Choose Dan Chapman & Associates, LLC?
- We understand personal injury law. Our Athens personal injury attorneys have over 30 years of experience resolving personal injury claims and premises liability lawsuits, in particular.
- Our attorneys can go up against any property owner or insurance company. We aren’t afraid of taking on powerful adversaries for our clients in and out of the courtroom.
- Our premises liability lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means you’ll only pay our attorney’s fees if we collect compensation on your behalf.
How an Athens Premises Liability Lawyer Can Help
Premises liability can be a complicated area of the law in Georgia. As the filing party or plaintiff, you must properly navigate the state laws that apply to your case, including strict filing deadlines and evidentiary standards. Filing your claim and pursuing justice can be much easier – and more effective – when you hire an attorney to represent you. A premises liability lawyer in Athens can handle complicated legal matters for you, from investigating your accident to negotiating with an insurer for maximum financial compensation on your behalf. You can rest and relax with greater peace of mind when an attorney is taking care of your premises liability suit for you.
What Is a Premises Liability Claim? Do You Have One?
Premises liability refers to the legal responsibility that a property owner or controller has to keep premises reasonably safe for others. This responsibility applies to all landowners in Georgia, although the distinct duties of care depending on who is visiting the property. If an owner falls short of the duty to keep premises safe and this results in a dangerous defect or element that injures a visitor, the landowner can be held financially responsible (liable) for the victim’s injuries. A victim can seek financial compensation for this type of accident through a premises liability claim in Athens.
Georgia’s premises liability laws identify three types of property visitors. Each comes with different duties of care for the property owner:
- Invitee. Someone who enters a property with the express or implied permission of the owner, such as the customers of a store or restaurant. Invitees are owed the highest duties of care: remedying known property defects, searching for unknown hazards, and warning visitors of potential risks.
- Licensee. Someone who has permission or legal authority to be on a property but is not there to benefit the property owner, such as a house caller or salesperson. The duties of care owed to a licensee are only to remedy known hazards and warn licensees if there is a hidden danger on the premises.
- Trespasser. Someone with no lawful right, authority or permission to be on a property. Trespassers in Georgia are not owed any duties of care by a property owner unless they are under the age of 18. However, landowners cannot intentionally injure or kill trespassers for unjustified reasons.
You may have grounds to file a premises liability claim in Georgia if you were injured on someone else’s property from a hazard that legally should have been repaired based on your status as a visitor. If you are not sure of your classification during an accident in Athens, talk to our lawyers to find out if your case has merit.
Common Types of Premises Liability Cases in Georgia
Premises liability law covers many different types of accidents and injuries that are related to property defects. A negligent property owner can create or contribute to many dangerous conditions. Some of the most common types of accidents involved in Georgia premises liability claims are:
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Stairway accidents
- Parking lot accidents
- Snow and ice accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Sporting event injuries
- Attractive nuisances
- Food poisoning
- Dog bite injuries
- Swimming pool accidents
- Inadequate security
- Lack of maintenance
- Falling debris
- Structural collapses
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Fires and burn injuries
- Electrical incidents
- Exposure to toxic substances
If you were lawfully on someone else’s property or in a public park when you suffered a serious injury, bringing a premises liability claim against the property owner can help you move forward. You may be eligible for compensation to help you pay for your required medical care and other losses from the property owner’s insurance provider.
How Long Do You Have to File a Premises Liability Claim in Georgia?
According to Georgia Code Section 9-3-33, the statute of limitations or deadline for filing a personal injury claim is two years from the date of the incident, with some exceptions. If you do not act within at least two years of the date of your accident, you will most likely lose the right to recover financial compensation from the property owner. If you didn’t discover your injury or illness until later, you may have two years from the date of discovery to take legal action. It is important to initiate your claim as soon as possible in Athens to avoid missing your deadline and forfeiting the right to recover financial compensation.
Request a Free Consultation With an Athens Premises Liability Lawyer Today
You have rights as the victim of a premises liability accident. We can help you protect and defend them at Dan Chapman & Associates, LLC. Our law firm has been helping individuals and families throughout Georgia achieve the case results that they deserve since 1993. Clients come to us for our outstanding legal services, individual attention from an attorney, and results that speak for themselves.
Find out how we can help you with an injury claim in Athens today. Request a free consultation by calling (678) 504-8564 or contacting us online anytime. We will listen to your story and help you take the first steps forward after a devastating premises liability accident.