Jury Finds Negligence With Johnson & Johnson
On October 27, 2016, Johnson & Johnson® lost a third straight jury trial to a woman claiming that she developed ovarian cancer after using Johnson & Johnson baby powder for many years. The St. Louis, MO jury awarded Deborah Giannecchini, age 62, an award of more than $70 million in damages. This verdict follows damages verdicts of $72 million and $55 million against J&J returned this year in the first two talc powder cases to go to trial in St. Louis. Both of the earlier verdicts are being appealed and J&J also has said it will appeal this third verdict.
One juror interviewed after the trial said J&J should have provided a warning label on the product to let consumers decide whether to use the talc powder. Juror Billie Ray of St. Louis said after the trial “it seemed like Johnson & Johnson didn’t pay attention.” She also said “it seemed like they didn’t care.” J&J has denied any link to talc use and ovarian cancer.
J&J is facing hundreds of claims in St. Louis state court. It is also facing about more suits in Los Angeles, CA and others in New Jersey by woman claiming to have developed ovarian cancer after long term use of the talc powder. However, a New Jersey state court judge last month threw out two J&J talc cases set for trial, finding inadequate scientific support for the cancer claims.
Our legal team is filing talc cases for women who have suffered from ovarian cancer after the use of talc powder products, such as Johnson’s Baby Powder® and Shower To Shower®. If you or a loved one used Johnson’s Baby Powder® or Shower To Shower® for more than 5 years and have developed ovarian cancer, please contact us for a free, no obligation, case evaluation.
Representatives are available 24/7 to take your call at (800)321-4477